Las Vegas, NV, USA
A DEF CON CTF event.
Official URL: https://defcon.org/html/links/dc-ctf.html
This event's future weight is subject of public voting!
8 DEF CON black badges
8 DEF CON leather jackets
24 teams total
|Place||Team||CTF points||Rating points|
|2||Plaid Parliament of Pwning||914.000||101.223|
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this CTF much. Although the organizers had very nice ideas for the rules, the implementation of everything was really bad :(
- Challenges were removed after some time (which is IMO good for A/D, you don't have to look at one challenge for the whole 48h).
- The organizers were nice and helpful.
- I liked the idea with testing user patches by the organizers before deployment.
- Music wasn't as loud as on previous DEF CON CTFs.
- The number of challenges was small, so non-US teams which couldn't afford sending 30 people to Vegas still had some change to win.
- Terrible Internet connection (but on the last day it was ok).
- There was no scoreboard available for the whole competition (excluding one projector, but it wasn't visible from our table).
- Challenge binaries weren't mirrored locally, so we needed to download them using the slow connection.
- Both CTF network and Internet connection shared the same throughput limit, so downloading anything could break your exploits.
- For the first few hours there was only one challenge available, so there wasn't too much to do, even for small teams.
- The music/videos in the CTF area were literally 10-20 different annoying videos run in a loop. Please play something less annoying or at least make the playlist longer.
- The rules weren't precisely defined, e.g. the normalization part was totally unclear to us.
- Patching system was totally broken for the whole first day, the organizers verified them by hand.
- No food or soft drinks provided :(
- No travel reimbursement + no team size limit - it's *much* harder for non-US teams to compete here.
- "pointless" challenge - I spent more than 20h reversing and analyzing the challenge binary only to not be able to connect to the server, because the organizers failed to host it properly.
- Hidden scoreboard on the last day - I really hate this idea, but it's probably very subjective ;)
How do you choose the best choose the best product among the ones listed here? https://onlychainsaw.com/best-chainsaw-chain/